NIDA has reissued a Program Announcement, PA-18-773, International Research Collaboration on Drug Abuse and Addiction Research, which will be in effect until May 2021. The funding opportunity will support R01 research grant applications that:
- Feature a partnership between an investigator at a U.S.-based institution and a researcher from another country.
- Take advantage of unusual opportunities that exist outside the United States that will speed scientific discovery, such as
- Environmental conditions.
- Will provide knowledge that advances health in the United States.
- Demonstrate specific relevance to the NIDA mission and objectives.
All types of AIDS, AIDS-related, and non-AIDS applications are allowed, and applications are encouraged in all areas of drug addiction science, including basic science, epidemiology, health services, prevention, and treatment. Applications proposing clinical trials are permitted, but not required.
R01 Research Project grants typically provide support for 3 to 5 years. Most international research is supported through domestic grants with a foreign component. Individuals who wish to use a different grant mechanism are encouraged to apply for funding using one of the following already published “parent” funding opportunity announcements:
- R03 NIH Small Research Grant Program (Parent R03 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) PA-18-488
- R21 NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (Parent R21 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) PA-18-489
- R21 NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (Parent R21 Clinical Trial Required) PA-18-344.
For further details, please visit: https://www.drugabuse.gov/international/nida-international-program-announcement